Friday, April 5, 2013

Crossroads


I meditate each and every day.  Originally it was a strategy I was taught to overcome my anxiety. Although meditation certainly still has that effect, I’ve mainly used it as a means of clearing my mind so that afterwards I can reflect on my day, week, month, or life with clarity.  After a hard training session, which caused me to question my skills, I soaked in a hot Epsom salt bath.  I spent fifteen minutes focusing on the soothing sensation of complete relaxation.  I let my doubts and stress melt away and after a long stretching regiment I spent another ten minutes or so doing a deep breathing exercise.   
            When I finally opened my eyes a seemingly random though crossed my mind. It was the notion that even though the choices I’ve made throughout my life led me to this moment, my character was more defined by the decisions I didn’t make.  It’s a strange thought to realize that the path you didn’t take has as much of an influence in shaping your personality, convictions, values and beliefs as the path you’re on.  I will save the details of what events led to this epiphany for my autobiography and leave you with this: never forget the crossroads in your life.  Regardless of whether or not you made the right choice, never discredit how much each decision plays in your identity. 
            On that note my phone has gone off about 30 times since I started writing this and the decision to ignore it anymore might result in extreme scolding and sassiness from my girlfriend.  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment