Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Live Your Dream


Have you ever noticed that the people who tell you you’re dreams are unrealistic are the ones who have long since given up on their own?  The people who say you’re crazy or living in a fantasy are the same ones who settle for mediocrity.  I don’t understand how someone can judge the goals and ambitions of another human being when they have no insight on what drives that individual.   How can someone call my passion a long shot when they’ve never been in the ring with me?  How can you question my ability if you’ve never felt my pain or cared enough to ask me about it? It doesn’t matter who supports you.  It doesn’t matter where you’re from or where you’re going.  The only person you need to believe in you is yourself.   
Every time I’ve heard the word, “can’t” I’ve proved it wrong; call it my good luck charm.  Every time I’ve heard doubt in some one’s voice I’ve shoved it back down their throat.  At some point you tune the world out and concern yourself only with those who back you.   You stop caring if people understand what you’re about and what you’re trying to accomplish.  You surround yourself with the people who remain positive influences in your life, even if they don’t fully comprehend why you endure physical abuse day in and day out.  Once you’ve gotten to that level you are no longer chasing your dream, you’re living it. 
The only time I get worried is when I start to doubt myself.  It’s not for fear of getting hurt or injuring someone else.  The only time I doubt myself is when I’m scared to let those around me down.  I lose sight as to why I enjoy what I do and start to make it about my support system.  It’s important to recognize where your uncertainty is coming from and correct your thinking.  Yes it might suck to let down a coach, a team, your friends and family cheering you on but what’s even worse is to allow those things to cloud your mind and affect your performance. 
I enjoy fighting because it's both a team and individualistic sport.  You can’t succeed in MMA, boxing, kickboxing or jiujitsu without training partners.  A punching bag doesn’t hit back, a jump rope doesn’t teach you to get back up and fight with blood in your eyes.  Once it’s time to put yourself and your training to the test the sport takes a completely new form.   You are alone in the cage and on the mats.  No one will save you and if you are fighting for any other reason to win that fight you are going to get seriously injured.  If you are fighting to survive a round, you’ll wake up wondering what happened.
          Sometimes I feel selfish for finding so much pleasure in such an egocentric lifestyle.   Then I realize there is nothing self-absorbed about finding a way to build success with your own to hands.  There is nothing vainglorious about discovering a means to provide for yourself and those you love.  Punch after punch, kick after kick and fight after fight you set the foundation for a promising future.  The problem with most fighters is they don’t anticipate life after their body gives out on them or the competition becomes too great.  If you have a dream make it a reality and have a plan for when you wake up, don’t allow it to become a nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment