Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Tip of the Hat to Columbia PD

       One week ago I receive a citation for making an illegal left turn on to a COMPLETELY vacant road.  I understand the officers frustration with my dangerous intentions as he had to leave the line at Hardee's to pull me over.  He must have thought I was a menace to society as I pulled in to a flower shop to buy roses for my girlfriend and my 2 year anniversary. After composing my ticket and ensuring me he was simply trying to protect and serve, he went on to lecture me about my dog sitting on my lap (Ein was ferociously growling the entire time). I challenged the illegality of my canine passenger, he rolled his eyes and replied, "well it should be," and went on with his day.  Thirty minutes later on my way to class he had another victim pulled over and yet another upon my return.
     Yesterday I received another citation.  I pull up first to a 4-way stop sign intersection, followed by an officer directly across from me and last to the occasion a school bus to my left.  Half way through my left turn, the school bus turns on his flashers and stop sign.   Already in motion I continued to pass the bus.  As children start to file out of the bus the officer made his move and zoomed after me.  He followed me into my apartment complex parking lot and approached my vehicle with his hand on his firearm.  His approach was less of a lecture and more of an aggravated/cynical outburst.  He berated me claiming I put him, the bus driver, the children and myself in danger so I could, "get back to my cheeto's." It took every ounce of restraint in my being not to explain that he in fact was the only one who endangered anyone.  Instead, when he returned with a ticket, I BEGGED man-to-man for a break.  I explained I had just received a moving ticket and couldn't afford any more points on my insurance.  He said, "that's too bad," and returned to his vehicle.  As he sped off he almost hit a skateboarder, honked is horn and threw his arms in the air as if it was the kids fault.
      My girlfriend arrived minutes later unaware I had received a new ticket and told me she saw two or three people pulled over in the 6 minute drive from her place to mine.  Growing up in the city of Saint Louis I understand and appreciate the service and stress an officer of the law undergoes.  Unlike my experience with Columbia PD, the officers I've interacted with in my home city had every intention to protect and serve.  Thus far the police officers of Columbia, Missouri seem more concerned with protecting their jobs by servicing a quota.  The first ticket I almost understand and luckily I have a lawyer for a dad willing to help me reduce it to a non-moving violation.  The second citation I have every intention of fighting in court.  I consider it my civil duty to explain to the judge that this officer was more concerned with writing me a ticket than the safety of the children on that bus.  I'm tired of these assholes already and I've been here less than a month.  I've decided to buy a bike and be a legal inconvenience on the road, slowing down in front of every cop car I see so I can accurately send an anal salute in their direction.  Ice Cube's voice keeps ringing in my ear, "Fuck the police coming straight outta COMO!"

No comments:

Post a Comment